Tuesday 11 March 2008

waste not, want not

I have a perverse enthusiasm for recycling, and get a particular kick out of reusing things. Call me a cynic, but I do find it hard to believe that Lambeth council does anything with my dutifully washed out milk cartons and lovingly sorted newspapers that contributes in any way to their rebirth as a pencil, or a loo roll.
So being able to reuse things that would have otherwise been thrown away does make me happy, and the development of the garden has afforded more than one occasion for a spot of home recycling.
I've been saving up egg boxes all year to use as seed trays, have found that newspapers make a brilliant blanket for chilly geraniums, and last week fashion a rudimentary flowerpot from a soup can.
I've also boosted my own eco-rating by collecting the seeds from the vegetables I've been eating, and planting them. Today was the turn of the butternut squash, the chilli and the red pepper (at last) If I carry on like this I'll be self sufficient in no time.

Scouring of the charity shops continues in search of a pure wool jumper to undo and turn into a lovely cabled cushion. Waste not, want not indeed.

No comments: