Tuesday 4 March 2008

Unexpected pleasures

I work at Victoria, and have got far too used to trudging around that bleak, busy and anonymous part of London. With the exception of lunchtime trips to Westminster Cathedral (which remains for me one of the most (awe) inspiring buildings in London. But I digress...) it can, with its blank commuters and busy buses, get to be a depressing place to escape from my desk to.
But, having given up supermarkets for lunch, I turned left onto Wilton Road in an effort to find myself something to eat and stumbled into what seemed like an entirely different world. It even looked as if the sun was shining especially brightly on the little rows of shops there. Not only did I come across two of my favourite things (charity shops and knitting shops) combined in one rapturous whole to nose around in, but also one of those lovely old fashioned florists dripping with the first shy hyacinths of Spring. Bliss.
Best of all was the Italian deli that I finally settled on for my daily bread. Alongside the bread, cheeses and vegetables on offer, there was also a rack of Franchi seeds and I greedily snapped them up.
I now daydream about the kitchen garden that will be here in a few months almost as much as I daydream about getting a pug and driving it around in one of the old mini coopers.

No comments: