Sunday 16 March 2008

A walk in the woods



Went for an enjoyable autumnal walk in the woods today. In spite of all the stirrings of Spring and the various pleasantries of tulips, daffodils and primroses making themselves known again, I do enjoy a good tramp through the rain and mud to admire the effect on the trees. Rain in the city, I acknowledge is considerably less fun.

I was particularly happy to go on this walk because I wanted to work out a colour scheme for the dog jumper I'm planning. The dog seemed to take particular care to pause (paws?) and pose in front of especially becoming colour schemes: russet red, moss green and rich dark brown. I am thinking of knitting him something from the Rowan or Debbie Bliss tweed ranges.


I'm a little worried about the whole dog jumper idea though. I don't want to make something that will make him look cutesy or stupid, or humilate him in anyway, and I especially don't want to make something that expends huge amounts of money and time, for the dog to turn his nose up at it.
But I DO want to challenge myself, and make something a little more complex, and in the absence of any babies to make a jacket for, the dog will have to be the beneficiary of my efforts. I think I could always wash it, unravel it and make him a blanket if he turns out not to be a jumpery type of hound.
I was so absorbed in these thoughts that I slipped in the mud, slide some way down a hill and covered myself in mud.

No comments: