Saturday 15 March 2008

If at second you don't succeed..

...I don't see what a harm a spot of cheating can do.
Today I went to a nice big garden centre in Sussex and bought myself a little rosemary bush to kick start the herb garden. Hopefully it will inspire all the other little seedlings to do their utmost to grow up big and strong.


I also treated my geraniums to new terracotta pots in nice bright colours, with all the rain and gloom in London at the moment I thought they would cheer up the balcony no end.
The garden centre did remind me slightly of IKEA, with its trolleys and fixated Saturday morning visitors, but it was a much happier experience than I've ever had buying flatpack furniture, pottering about with my mum and admiring the flowers. On a side note I have never, ever seen so much compost in one place. I never knew that there were so many variations of mud on the market. If I were the quiting sort, I would no doubt have been inspired to knock up a 'compost quilt' or some such.


The day was slightly soured by a man and his wife standing behind me in the queue in the cafe who would not stop MOANING about how awful everything was. It started over a bath bun (there was only one left) and ended with the cost of bedding plants. Honestly, there are people dying in the world because they don't have anything to eat, and they wouldn't shut up because they had to have a toasted tea cake instead of a bath bun. And most people don't have the privilege of even having a plot of earth just for growing things for themselves to enjoy in, and yet there they were niggling over the price of a pansy. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I have resolved to stop complaining myself, lest I find myself in 10 years time whingeing about doughnuts.

No comments: