Sunday 20 April 2008

Woolly thoughts in Wales

Went on a little holiday to Wales last weekend.
We were coming back from Ireland on the ferry, and drove from Holyhead, through Snowdonia and then stayed overnight on a farm in the Brecon Beacons.
Wales is beautiful, and I felt so lucky to be able to see such different landscapes in one day. Although I did nearly cause a car crash when I got over excited about seeing a big pig leaning out of what I thought was an abandoned cottage window.
We had lunch by a waterfall in Snowdonia (although managed not to take any pictures sadly) and tea in a village near the sea.
I couldn't believe my good fortune when we stopped there and had a nose around, only to find the most enormous sack of wool outside a charity shop for five pounds. I snapped it up and discovered an unfinished knitted patchwork blanket hiding inside.
Now most likely this is the unfinished work of a lovely old Welsh lady who died and left her family at a loss of what to do with her knitting, so I have promised to finish her lovely blanket for her. Watch this space.
We also saw an awful lot of happy woolly sheep, just growing their hair to turn into lovely knitted objects. The Colonel didn't like them much, but all I could see were dozens of tea cosies/socks/jumpers wondering around.
It made me want very badly to upsticks, move to the Brecon Beacons and start my own wool farm/knitting pattern/cookery school/B and B there.

No comments: